Pasta. Who doesn’t like pasta? My kids love pasta. Like, if they could be pasta-tarians, they would. Seriously. With that in mind I decided to share one of my favorite recipes, Bolognese. It is much easier to make than you think, it just takes time for it to get all yummy. Before you all say, “I dont have the time though”, this recipe you can start in a pan and then transfer into a crock pot OR just make it in the pan if you DO have the time. I mean doesn’t this look great?! Well, I am ready to eat. SO without further ado, here is the recipe. Please enjoy at your own risk, it’s that good.
Time: Minimum of 2 hours.
1 pound of Ground Beef
1 pound of bacon, sliced into thin strips
1/2 medium onion, diced
2/3 Cup of celery and carrot, minced or small dice
3 TBSP of olive oil
5 sprigs of Thyme
2 bay leaves
1 cup of white whine
1 1/2 cups of whole milk
2 cups of peeled and diced roma tomatoes
5 Cups of beef stock, plus 1 Cup.
Salt and pepper to taste
4 leaves of basil, small dice
- In a large pan cook the bacon till extra crispy.
- Once done add carrots, celery and onion. Cook till soft and translucent.
- Add thyme and bay leaf.
- Add ground beef and break apart into small pieces till brown. About 8 minutes. Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Once meat is cooked add wine and reduce by half.
- Add tomatoes and cook till soft.
- Add 5 cups of stock and milk, reduce till sauce. Turn heat down to low. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- This is the part where you cook till you can or add it to the crock pot and turn that baby to low and let it go. The additional stock is only if desired or if additional liquid is needed. Cook a minimum of 2 hours on low, longer is preferred.
- Once the sauce is to desired taste and consistency in a separate pot heat water with 2 TBSP of salt to a boil.
- When water is boiling add desired pasta. Cook till desired texture. Drain water from pasta and take desired amount of sauce to mix with noodles.
- Garnish with desired cheese and basil.
Above is what my finished product looked like. It was soo good. please let me know what you think, if you loved it or additional suggestions below. And as always, have a very merry un-birthday to you!